Whether you?re a professional author or just starting out as a writer, there are benefits to be had in joining a writing group. First and foremost, joining a local writing group can help you to perfect your craft while maintaining humility. When you can submit your work to your peers for feedback, you?ll quickly develop your writing chops for a better chance of publishing success in your career.
If that?s not enough to convince you, here are several other benefits to be had in joining a writing group:
- Stay motivated. If you have a hard time sticking to your goals and writing your novel at home, connecting with other writers will help to maintain your momentum.
- Read your work aloud. Although it may seem simple, the act of reading your work aloud to a group can immediately give you a different perspective as you hear how words flow to an audience.
- Get valuable input. Though it may hurt at first, receiving feedback from other writers can help to improve your writing style and strengthen any weaknesses.
- Learn from other writers. In a writing group, you may decide to branch out of your wheelhouse and try your hand at short stories or poetry.
- Make industry connections. Networking with other writers in your neck of the woods could provide valuable connections in the publishing industry.
Where to Find Writing Groups in Austin
If you?re ready to roll up your sleeves and get writing, options are aplenty when it comes to writing groups in the Austin area, starting with:
- Short Story Group: The Short Story Group in Austin is a small, intimate, and absolutely free critique group that is intended to help writers improve their writing skills in a group setting. Group members include non-published and published authors alike.
- The Fandom Association of Central Texas: Writers can participate in writers? workshops in fantasy, mystery, science fiction, and horror genres. FACT membership costs just $21 per year.
- Austin Writers Meetup Group: Writers looking for positive reinforcement can join this Meetup group for Austin writers with two different locations in North Austin and South Austin. This group is intended to support a writers? community in Austin for all writing styles and approaches.
- The Writer?s Workshop: In this group, writers can gather together in a safe, confidential community to hone their craft using the AWA method. Weekly writer?s workshops are available for $49; specialty retreats, like the Write Yoga retreat, may cost as much as $179.